Monday, October 10, 2011

bahasa ibunda

Last saturday, ada makan-makan at rumah one lady ni. Kat sana,I met this lady who has lived here for almost 30years. She has a 24 year old daughter yang hardly ever balik Malaysia. They ols balik Malaysia maybe once in five years or something like that.

Anyhoo, one would think that the kids (that lady has 2, one boy and one girl) sure tak reti cakap Melayu. Or, if cakap Melayu pon pelat-pelat or ada slang Austria, kan?? Ya Rabbi, I was so suprised that the kids, (yang muka memang mcm mat salleh) fasih berbahasa ibunda uols!!!!! Siap cakap "depa" lagi (becos the mama orang perak!). And she can campur cakap BM and BI in one sentence as well, like a typical Malaysian.

I was so proud of her. Yelah, walaupun jarang-jarang sekali balik kampung mak dia, and living in a place where people mostly speak Deutsch, she can cakap Melayu really well.

Whats the secret? Well, Mak dia memang usually converse in Deutsch with the kids but she also makes a point to speak to them in Malay. I think it is important to make sure our kids know how to speak Malay. Sungguh pon we brought them up overseas (tak kisah lah France ke, German ke, UK ke) that does not mean that they have to adapt to the locals punya language sahaja. We should encourage them to speak in their mother tounge. Yang I notice, Malaysians and especially Malays are particularly proud if their kids can converse in English or other European languages. Well, there's nothing wrong in that, because I try to teach my kids Deutsch as well. Cuma yang ralatnya, bila they just concentrate on English sahaja dan lupakan Bahasa Melayu. Sayang betul.

After all, Bahasa Jiwa Bangsa, kan?

2 comments:

sumpit said...

i dont think it's about pride la, but rather it's about making sure tht the kids can speak in more than just Malay.
I mean, living in malaysia, there's just no way that they wont be able to speak in Malay, which is why malaysian mothers make it a point to make sure tht their kids are well-versed in english as well...kot (and vice versa - referring to the malaysian mothers abroad, hence the case with the lady and a few other asian mothers i know in deutschland)

miSs inTerpReted said...

oh, you would be suprised to know that there are malays in malaysia who are not fluent in malay language. I know a few..hihi.